With more than 75 000 users in 220 countries, JIRA has been implemented by companies like Twitter, Skype Technologies, Adobe, and NASA. The software is mainly used for project management, and bug-tracking. The main advantages of using JIRA are improved productivity, user flexibility, and customization.
The program is offered in three packages: JIRA Core, a generic project management tool; JIRA Software, includes the software and the Agile project management tool, and JIRA Service desk used by IT and customer service desks.
The Agile framework is built into JIRA. Agile uses an incremental, iterative approach to work. It was initially introduced as a method for software developers to respond to the ever-changing requirements of software development. Atlassian took the principles stipulated in the Agile Manifesto and built a project management system around them. The four principles are as follows:
1. Individuals and interactions over process and tools. Tools and programs are useful, but we must encourage direct feedback, sparring, and meetings that allow teams to consult and make decisions fast. An application of this principle could be the “daily stand-ups” in Scrum.
2. Working software over comprehensive documentation. Agile is about taking action, creating and delivering fast, testing and perfecting the product. Agile is more about doing than creating endless documentation.
3. Customer collaboration over contract negotiation. Signing a contract with a new client, where the obligations and expectations of both parts are clearly stated, is a great way to start a collaboration. However, bear in mind that clients as co-creators in projects. You need their input. Understand their needs, ask for feedback, and incorporate the feedback into your work, to create the products they want.
4. Responding to change over following a plan. The Agile methodology may seem like a complex set of rules and principles who’s adoption creates extra-work. In reality, Agile proposes a framework that allows teams to responds creatively and spontaneously to change. The idea is to make interactions dynamic and more efficient.
Applications of JIRA
- JIRA is a great collaboration tool. In can be used to coordinate the work involved in creating marketing materials. It helps you track work progression, communicate with designers and writers, give feedback and mark the finished tasks to be approved by the CMO.
- In Compliance, where a lot of rules and regulations have to be organized;
- If your company works remotely, JIRA can help you coordinate the workflow. Teams can check the projects they’ve been assigned, and managers enjoy the advanced reporting tools.
Why should you use JIRA in your organization?
Here are some of the advantages of using JIRA as stated on Atlassian.
Transparency. Whether you’re sharing an office with your team or work remotely, Trello boards are a great way to organize work-flows and make sure everybody is on the same page.
Flexible planning. JIRA’s flexible planning features allow your team to make plans that generate the best outcomes for their projects. Scrum
Scalable evolution. JIRA Software and Agile Project Management were designed for teams that evolve. You can change issues types, field, and workflows as your organization changes.
Take advantage of the benefits provided by JIRA suite and build a strong organization.